How Many Cloth Diapers Do I Need?
Most of our customers keep about 20-30 cloth diaper changes on hand, allowing them to wash diapers ever other day. Newborns go through the most diaper changes, approximately 10-14 changes every 24 hours. However, as your baby learns to sleep longer stretches at night, it's much easier to get by with fewer diapers. Toddlers tend to "hold it" for longer periods and may only go through 6-7 diaper changes per day.
Although we sell our diapers individually, we've compiled a few different scenarios to show how you might design your baby's cloth diaper stash and how much each scenario would cost. There are endless possibilities, of course, but most families find 3-5 brands/types of diapers they like and build a stash out of those.
Keep in mind that "one-size" diapers don't tend to fit newborns well, so most parents use different diapers in the first few months and then transition to the "one-size" diapers that will last through potty training.
Cloth Diapering Options for Newborns
Each of the examples given below shows costs for 24 diaper changes. Our newborn diaper rentals are available for an 8-week period. We estimate that using Pampers for baby's first 8 weeks would cost about $210, so any of these options would be an excellent alternative over disposables!
- $110 for the rental of a Used Easy Peasy or Used This & That newborn diaper Rental package
- $170 for the rental of a New Easy Peasy or New This & That newborn diaper package
"One-Size" Cloth Diapering Options
Each of the examples given below shows costs for 20 diaper changes. As you can see, all-in-two (AI2) systems are the least expensive, but even the most expensive cloth diapers will prove far less expensive than disposables in the long run!
- $269 for 5 GroVia hybrid shells, 10 GroVia organic cotton soakers, and 10 GroVia stay-dry soakers
- $279 for 5 SoftBums Omni pocket/AI2 shells, 10 SoftBums large drypods, and 10 SoftBums one-size bamboo pods
- $283 for 5 Best Bottom one-size AI2 shells, 10 medium & 10 large stay-dry inserts, and 10 medium & 10 large cotton/hemp inserts
- $397 for 6 Tots Bots Easy Fit AIOs, 6 FuzziBunz One-Size Elite+ pockets, 8 Kissa's contours, and 2 Flip one-size covers
- $413 for 8 bumGenius 4.0 pockets, 6 bumGenius Freetime AIOs, and 6 bumGenius Elemental AIOs